You’ve decided you want to build your dream home.
Now, you need to hunt down and snatch up that perfect piece of paradise to call home. Here’s how to go about finding just the right spot:
- Consider the general layout of the home you want to build. Sprawling ranch? Front-porch farmhouse? Two-story bungalow? The lot you choose should complement the home you envision.
- Save time by narrowing down where you want to live. Then research available lots in those areas.
- Link arms with an agent who knows local builders and can help assess a lot’s potential. You want to be well-acquainted with a lot’s slope, drainage, and utilities.
- Check with the local zoning office about the land you’re interested in purchasing. Pay attention to surrounding land as well, and try to weigh what future zoning and construction will happen in the area. Your agent can help with this!
- If you’re looking to buy in an established neighborhood, research minimum square footage or building materials requirements. Ask about HOA fees or restrictions that could limit your number of pets, vehicles, or home additions down the road.
- Meet with reputable lenders familiar with construction loans to learn your financing options. (We can help here!)
- Work with an agent to write and negotiate an offer.
- Attend your closing and break ground!
If you’re leaning toward new construction and need help with financing, the Farmers Bank & Trust Mortgage Team can help! Contact one of our lenders by visiting HERE to find out what financing options work best for your situation.
Member FDIC | Equal Housing Lender