Thanks for listening to our Right at the HEART Podcast!
While the coronavirus has undoubtedly affected us all, for students, it has been particularly difficult. Seniors had their year cut short without a commencement ceremony. Many students were instructed to go home to study online, missing activities on campus or team sports. Some students rely on the student to professor contact and relationship. There’s no denying it’s harder to do that online.
In this episode, we talk to Texas A&M University-Texarkana Assistant Director of Student Life Michael Stephenson. Now more than ever, he’s passionate about keeping students engaged, encouraged, and entertained. He shares ideas for activities if you’ve got a student at home, and ways we can all use our time wisely by giving back.
If you’d like to participate in the virtual Big Event, here is a list to get you started:
- Clean out your closet and donate to charitable organizations – Michael is donating to Mary’s Closet.
- Volunteer or donate to a local Foodbank – Harvest Regional Foodbank in Texarkana is accepting a limited number of volunteers.
- Make a purchase using Amazon Smile – Michael encourages people in Texarkana to donate to Habitat of Humanity.
- Write a letter of encouragement to a local healthcare professional
- Take a walk around your neighborhood and pick up litter along the way
- Share East Texas Giving Day on social media (see link below in resources)
East Texas Giving Day – April 28, 2020
You can also visit MyFarmers.Bank/Covid19 for updates regarding our hours and services available.
*This episode was recorded via Zoom on April 17, 2020.
Member FDIC | Equal Housing Lender